The US labor market is one of the most competitive in the world. The unemployment rate is usually kept in the rate of 4-4.5%. The most reliable way to find a job in the country is through acquaintances, friends, relatives who already live in the States. The most popular job search sites:
- Monster.com is the largest job search site in the US and the world. The resource base contains more than one million offers from employers and more than 150 million resumes. Every minute on the site is 7,900 job searches, 2,800 viewed vacancies and 29 uploaded resumes. In America, Monster is one of the three largest job search sites. Advanced search allows you to search for vacancies not only by name and city, but also by skills and keywords.
- Craigslist is one of the most popular email classified sites for Americans. It offers rental housing, various goods and services, dating, as well as work in the United States. There are also vacancies for foreign citizens of NYC and other dtates. Select the city you want, go to the “Work” section and enter your keywords.
- Indeed is the world’s leading job search site. More than 180 million unique users from 50 different countries visit it every month. The greatest advantage of the resource is that it allows you to search for vacancies both on the site itself and on thousands of others.
- CareerBuilder is another largest job search site and is one of the top three in the United States. About 24 million unique job seekers visit it every month. In terms of employers, the site contains most of the Fortune 1000 companies, the prestigious list of the best US firms.
- Careerjet is a job search engine that provides access to millions of jobs posted on tens of thousands of websites around the world. The system searches for the specified parameters and redirects you to the original site. Both specialized job search sites and companies that have posted only a few vacancies on their online resource are taken into account. Search by keywords and skills is also available. The results can be conveniently filtered by date and get the most recent offers.
Contacting the company directly
A good way to find a job in the USA is to send your resume in English to one of the large local corporations. For example, Ford Motor, Hewlett-Packard, Chevron, Procter & Gamble, J P Morgan Chase & Co.
It is worth paying attention to large companies because they constantly need specialists, and they already have foreign workers on their staff. Therefore, they have knowledge and experience in the field of hiring foreigners.
The employer must verify the employee’s eligibility for employment in the United States. To do this, the employee must complete the I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification Form).
This document is filled out only after the employee accepts the offer from the employer and goes to work.
Further, according to the law, an employee has three working days to show his superiors documents that can verify his identity and confirm the right to work:
- work visa;
- permanent residence card in the USA;
- or a social security card that does not limit the right to work in America;
- and also a state-issued driver’s license.
- You can present a document of your choice from the listed ones.
The country also has an online system called E-Verify, which helps employers to quickly compare employee information from the I-9 form with the information contained in the database. Data is verified against USCIS and Social Security Administration records. This is done in order to confirm that the employee is eligible to work in the States. Some employers are required to register with the E-Verify system, others can do so at will.
This is a certificate on tax deductions from an employee (Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate). The form indicates the “withholding tax” on the salary, which the employer is required to deduct to the tax authorities.
NYC training programs for unemployed
There are the following training programs for unemployed in NYC:
- Online Learning With Coursera;
- The 599 Program;
- Trade Adjustment Assistance;
- On the Job Training (OJT).